Welcome to GamingIO - Gaming should be fun and free(dom)
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Did anyone here ever play online with XBAND?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

roboted

roboted

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

I used to play Super Mario Kart, Killer Instinct, NBA Jam and a few other games for SNES over my phone line through this service called XBAND.  You paid like fifteen dollars a month to play against available opponents in your area code.  Did anyone else participate in this service?  I loved it because there was just about no lag.

• BryanFex, Williampek, BigBonusMoX and 15 others like this

Davee

Davee

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

I have never heard of this before, but my husband said that he used to play through XBAND. He actually said to tell you thanks because he had forgotten all about it! :)

roboted

roboted

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

There are some youtube videos of XBAND experiences.  I thought it was so cool at the time.  I used my paper route money to pay for it.  I can't believe some people incurred long distance fees in order to play people outside of their area codes.  I read that the creators of XBAND invested heavily in lag prevention technologies.  Today's online games have much more lag than XBAND did back in the 90s.

GamerWorld

GamerWorld

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

I hadn't heard of it before reading your post. It sounds pretty cool. Is it still going on or has that ended? I still play Mario Kart to this day. It is one of my favorites. 

Amy

Amy

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I participated for a few months, but then I decided to stop paying. It was a fun experience while it lasted, though, but I became more focused on games where I didn't have to pay a monthly fee.