Welcome to GamingIO - Gaming should be fun and free(dom)
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Success or failure?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Beedle

Beedle

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

I live in the UK, and as far as I know, the PS Vita has not been a storming success - I don't think I've ever seen an advert for it and when you walk past gaming shops it isn't really promoted in the window displays, or even displayed that prominently within the shop.  I was curious whether this is the same in your country/countries?  I remember seeing on a TV show that it was successful in Japan, but has it been successful in making the jump to the rest of the world?  

Vangel

Vangel

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 208 posts

Well I had a PSP and back then, not more than 4 years ago, it was popular in town. Then came along iPhone followed by android. End of PSP and PSVita never stood a chance. I mean people still had their PSP which was rooted and PSVita was not that big of a difference plus it could not be rooted.

Ramp63

Ramp63

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

I live in the UK, and as far as I know, the PS Vita has not been a storming success - I don't think I've ever seen an advert for it and when you walk past gaming shops it isn't really promoted in the window displays, or even displayed that prominently within the shop.  I was curious whether this is the same in your country/countries?  I remember seeing on a TV show that it was successful in Japan, but has it been successful in making the jump to the rest of the world?  

I think part of reason it wasn't a storming success was the lack of games.  Developers aren't create games for a portable console that isn't selling successfully.  Of course it's hard to sell a portable system without any new games.

Vangel

Vangel

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 208 posts

I think part of reason it wasn't a storming success was the lack of games.  Developers aren't create games for a portable console that isn't selling successfully.  Of course it's hard to sell a portable system without any new games.

so what you're saying is that it's a chicken and egg story :/

roboted

roboted

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

My friends are really into gaming and none has bought the Vita.  They are into the Nintendo 3DS.  I think that Sony made a big mistake by trying to compete with the Nintendo 3DS considering that the Vita does not have 3D technology nor does it employ augmented reality technology.  I consider it to be a failure.

GamerWorld

GamerWorld

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

It is pretty popular where I am. My boyfriend and a lot of his friends own one and they all seem to like it. I don't own one though because I prefer my DS.

Cid

Cid

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I haven't looked into it much, but I know one of the biggest draws with PSPs was that people found ways to crack them. Considering newer PSP models made it harder to do that, I figure they took it up a notch with the Vita. If you can't root it and there aren't a ton of games, what's the draw? 

I don't think the PS4 release helped it, either.

xenolover

xenolover

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

You can crack a PSP? I've never heard of this before. I really am behind the times.

I was excited about the PSVita until I saw the price tag. It was a little too steep for a handheld. I think I'm plenty happy with my PSP.

Archie

Archie

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I agree that the Vita was a bad match against the 3DS. There are many more games available for 3DS, and it was much more popular from the get-go. I haven't seen a whole lot of Vita-exclusive releases, but there are plenty for 3DS. I'm glad I waited this one out.