Welcome to GamingIO - Gaming should be fun and free(dom)
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do you buy stuff for your avatar?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Beedle

Beedle

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Well, that's my question really: do you buy stuff for your avatar, like costumes, props etc?  I would quite like to (I think she'd look quite fetching in a Final Fantasy outfit, for example  :D  ) but I just can't justify spending actual money on something like that.  Therefore she's clothed entirely in free stuff or things I've unlocked within games.  Is customizing your little person important to you, or are you not really that bothered?  

Davee

Davee

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

I do not spend money on dressing my avatar. I am sure they have some really cool stuff, but you get lots of awesome stuff just by playing. I just can't really justify spending more money on my gaming life than I already do! ;)

Beedle

Beedle

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

I agree - that money could have gone towards another game!  I do wonder how much money they make out of selling virtual gear like that though...it would be interesting if they published that kind of information (maybe they do somewhere?).  

Davee

Davee

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

There is a documentary on Netflix right now, I think it was called 2nd Life, and it is primarily about the Second Life virtual world. However, in that documentary they follow several different people who made Second Life their whole life, by creating and selling things on the game. It was kind of neat and one or two of them were making a decent income at it.

Vangel

Vangel

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 208 posts

Live Avatars, no I don't ever buy as I saw no benefit to it. Plus the accessories are priced like IRL stuff. I bet they will try and sell you a virtual rolex priced like a real world one.

However in Second Life Avatar is central to your experience. I admit to having spent a decent amount on various virtual items. As for making money on Second Life, it's a luck game. If you start making enough (which is very very hard) you might find yourself being screwed over by Linden Labs. That's what happened to some businesses from real world who setup in Second Life. Second Life is dead-dying however I have had better experience on Open Grid. Which like a free and legal version of Second Life (free as in freedom and yeah price too). These "Open Grids" are maintained by Community. 

I was in the midst of starting a Grid which is basically a continent that our members can join. The continent then connects to other Open Grid systems to make the entire "World". There is no more money in Second Life, if ever there was any chance, at best it is a marketing stunt. 

Davee

Davee

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

I am not sure how old that documentary was, but it may have been from a couple of years ago. I haven't heard of Open Grid before, but I will check it out this weekend if I get a chance because it sounds pretty cool.

Vangel

Vangel

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 208 posts

You should give it a look. I have a working grid, but I need enough interested folks to host it.

roboted

roboted

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

There is a documentary on Netflix right now, I think it was called 2nd Life, and it is primarily about the Second Life virtual world. However, in that documentary they follow several different people who made Second Life their whole life, by creating and selling things on the game. It was kind of neat and one or two of them were making a decent income at it.

Thanks for this post.  I'll have to check it out.  My girlfriend used to be obsessed with Half Life but I never really got into it all that much.  Gaming culture fascinates me.  I've never bought gear for my avatar and I've never really given it serious thought.  I'll pay for games and an Internet connection but I'm not going to pay for extras within the games.  I'd be broke in no time!

Davee

Davee

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

They actually just put another video game documentary on there today and now I can't find it again! :o If I run across it later I will come back and edit this with the title. Roboted I know what you mean, I already spend way too much on this hobby!

GamerWorld

GamerWorld

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

I personally would not spend money to dress my avatar. It is not important to me. I am fine with the free stuff and with outfits I unlock with various games. 

Avshy

Avshy

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

I have never done this and I really do not see myself doing it anytime soon. The little image of me is for me, I am not gaming with a shiny little image of me to impress anyone and it does not need anything in order to make me enjoy my gaming experience. It just seems like a waste of funds.

onegamergirl

onegamergirl

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I've only ever bought one thing for my avatar, and that's a guitar. I play guitar so it was just the perfect way to make my avatar seem more like me. Other than that, I just stick with the freebie stuff. 

Love

Love

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I've never spent any money dressing up my avatar. Personally, I think this is a useless and wasteful idea so I tend not to spend any money on it.

xenolover

xenolover

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

No point in buying stuff for your avatar if you game a lot...there are usually trophies awarded for accomplishing certain things in game. I got a lot of interesting props for avatars that way. 

Huxley

Huxley

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I generally don't bother with stuff for my avatar. Now, downloadable content for in-game costumes...that's another story. I'm one of those weird people who enjoys making my character look as ridiculous as possible. It's amusing and that's all that matters!

Archie

Archie

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I don't know about that. $5 for a silly costume seems pretty ridiculous to me. Also ridiculous: being able to buy in-game money, levels, and armor. Come on. Either earn what you need in-game or don't.