Welcome to GamingIO - Gaming should be fun and free(dom)
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Project Lazy Hobo (alpha)

- - - - - lazy hobo mod installer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

Vangel

Vangel

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 208 posts

About the Project "GamingIO Mod Manager"

GamingIO Mod Manager is an attempt to make a generic Mod Manager/Installer that will work with as many PC games as possible.

GamingIO Mod Project will allow Game developers of mods and add-ons for multiple games to be published free of charge under the various Creative Common license or Copy Left. This will allow their work to be published freely by anyone with proper attribution and without any lock in to our service. The authors will retain full rights at all times. The licensing will be clear and standard across the board.
(i.e. none of – “you can do this, but not this” points of your “will” etc kind of unenforceable licenses)  
Licensing may not be simple because mods are derived works but we will work as best as possible to ensure that it is simple for authors. Further discussions are welcome.

The website will focus on authors to showcase their work, build a profile and earn appreciation or donations for their own work.  GamingIO may implement a mechanism in order to support the authors in this matter.

The GamingIO Mod Project will consist of software that will allow users/gamers to quickly and easily install game mods for PC games on windows and possibly on Mac in future. It will not consist of adware, spyware or any other means of personal data collection.  The goal of the software is to quickly and easily install mods with the shortest number of steps possible.
Visiting the website (so that we may make a killing selling bullshit ads on the website) will not be a requirement and will be avoided as much as possible. Visiting the website should be voluntary and not necessary for installing a mod. There will be no donation system for the site/service itself. The software will always be fully copyrighted.

Freedom:
As much as possible we want to promote the longevity of games with user contributed works for games which is free of charge for general use. Ease of distribution and getting the author’s work recognized.

Support for Mods/Maps is the initial phase. Adding support for easy to support games with the alpha release. I will find and add as many games as possible or reach out to modders to allow their files to be submitted.

A local index of installed mod to manage mods installed for each game.
Second phase will be advanced work like applying “community made patches”, those that require a little extra work.  For example writing to game root folder and editing any settings file.

What I need help with is basically

1. What features you need

2. Report bugs

3. provide name of games or mods to test with, any additional info that might help.

4. If you have your own mod for a game please join as author and submit those.

We need people who can test the mod submission. The system is not yet publicly available so details will be given out to those who ask. Must be on the forums though so we can follow up.

Currently supported games:

L4D2

L4D

These are just what I chose to begin development testing with. I have got it to work with Skyrim but the load order is not built in, but then again nexusmod's NMM and tools like BOSS is fine for such games anyway. It might be possible to attempt it down the lane. 

Games that might work:

CS 1.6

CSS

CS:GO

If you can suggest other games and help me understand how mod installation works for those games I can add them asap.

My problems so far: I tried reaching out to community via regular map/mod sites. Everywhere they either ban my account or delete my threads. I kind of expected this. Most websites are possessive in this way or have great difficulty with competition. Even though I don't see how it is competition, if it's just about community.

Sidenote: We have no such rule here. Gotta great Game, Gaming site? or a mod installer itself? you made something that is creative then feel free to share with everyone here. I mean there isn't a lot of everyone here right now :D but sure, you're welcome.

• jibjabst likes this

Vangel

Vangel

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 208 posts

There will be slight delay. Probably another few days , until weekend at most to release the mod installer. meanwhile feel free to suggest the games you want to see on the mod installer.

Vangel

Vangel

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 208 posts

Quick update: The mod installer is ready. I am in the process of doing the final touches and setting up the website. This is short work.

We still need mod authors, info on games that support mods and that you'd like to contribute to it ( I dont have all games, just a few test ones). 

Vangel

Vangel

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 208 posts

I contacted the SKSE devs but most likely they will not allow to host the SKSE installer so SKYUI mod might be pulled down. We just have to work with what we can get.

Please do submit mods for any games if you are the author.

Vangel

Vangel

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 208 posts

Fallout New vegas and Oblivion can be supported. However I have not played those games (I do have em) and have not tried any mods ofcourse. If there are any mods please let me know so I can enable it as a supported game.