Welcome to GamingIO - Gaming should be fun and free(dom)
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Future of Gaming

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Archie

Archie

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

After hanging out here for a while, the future of games has been on my mind quite a bit. Twelve years ago, when I was a pretty intensive gamer, it wasn't as "in" to be a gamer as it is now. It makes me wonder what we can expect. If games are tailored more and more for mainstream tastes, will this be a good thing for the industry, or a bad thing?

• Josephdueli, Williampek, JimmyHow and 18 others like this

Huxley

Huxley

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Well, games have to be "tailored for mainstream tastes" to begin with, but I think I get what you're saying. With everybody and their brother hopping in on playing video games, you could argue that games will lose their niche factor as they're geared towards pleasing a general audience.

Honestly, I think it's a good thing. With a bigger user base, games will have to be pretty darn shiny to have broad appeal. More gamers means more games, and hopefully games of better quality. I see only bright things ahead.

Archie

Archie

Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I don't know about that. I've noticed in recent years that game difficulty has been scaled back quite a bit. With many games, you can adjust the difficulty at your own leisure, but to me, that defeats the purpose entirely. It's not fun unless you feel at least a little bit tested. Dark Souls has presented a pretty hefty challenge, and people love it. Maybe it'll turn the tides regarding overall difficulty in games.

Edited by Archie, 17 March 2014 - 11:22 AM.